Thursday, April 23, 2009

Window or Aisle?

For the majority of my adult life, I nearly always choose an aisle seat - especially for flights over 2 hours. This is mostly because I feel a bit trapped and claustrophobic in a window seat. It's also because due to other issues, I need to drink a lot of water when I fly, which means many trips to the bathroom, and I can't stand bothering people when I need to go. Hence the aisle seat. Breaking from tradition I actually took a window seat the entire way back from london and I realize how much I missed looking out of the window! Admittedly there was nothing to see from London to Chicago, except a few brief glimpses of a very frozen looking Quebec and north-eastern Canada. The US is really truly an amazing piece of land. From the compulsively gridded midwest with the rivers and rivulets the only disturbance to the regularity, along with their crop circles which makes it look a bit like a piece of fabric from the 70's. To the Rockies which start as small ripples in sheets to the peaks of a rumpled velvet duvet. One of the most amazing sights are the infrequent cloud poofs suspended in a completely clear sky that look like they must be frozen in some sort of clear resin or glass that they don't just plummet to the ground. Some of the foothills look like a 100 mile long tractor rode over them leaving behind its rutted, monster tire tracks along the ridge lines. The mountains in colorado are nearly identical in color and texture to the ashed rind of the goat cheese we consumed in Berlin. Salt and pepper coloration with far more of the charcoal color punctuated by exposed slabs of creamy white on the plateaus. yum. The rivulets are branching out from their main stem like tree roots creeping towards the mountain tops. Then there are the brown lands as I like to call them that look like a mud flat full of partially submerged giant writhing lizards followed by the salt flats like an elephants hide covered in dried, cracked, flaking mud. Finally back over California and I wonder - what are all of those green mountains so close to San Jose with the cool little roads all over them? Then it occurs to me they are logging roads and I notice the reduced size of the nap on those hills. And last but not least the crazy colored pools cut into the very south end of the bay which are salt farms? rice paddies? Not sure what but they are quite large and three of them are bright red, two are chartreuse, the rest run the gamut of the blue, green, brown spectrum. So many interesting areas so close to home sweet home.

No comments: