Saturday, April 04, 2009

Deliquent

I have been so delinquent in writing it's damn near pathetic. Work has overrun my life as of late and writing is always one of the first things to go, whether it should be or not. I'm in London now - on a long awaited and much deserved vacation. A vacation I only began packing for 1.5 hours prior to departing San Francisco, which for those of you who know me even moderately well know that is entirely out of character for me. I didn't even make a packing list in my packing list notebook until the day before! luckily i had a prior europe list i just copied.

One of the interesting aspects of traveling is all of the things about myself that become so much more exaggerated. The constant run of life and meeting to meeting to meeting rat race really distract from listening to yourself and existing as a person rather than a part of a greater work whole. It is so hard for me to not do. I try not to do, and just be, but i wind up doing anyway. On this trip I am only working one day per week, yet I find myself curious about what work email may be waiting for me. It's hard to describe the dread each morning when I first open my work mailbox and all of the email starts loading. Especially when I have been up the night before working until 2am and a mere 6 hours later I have already accumulated 25 emails. Such is the problem with east coast clients! Can't I get a break? Oh, right, like this vacation? Part of me almost prefers just dealing with the email on a daily basis to keep it down to a manageable level and avoid the anxiety of a weeks worth of messages. But i know the only real way to forget about work and really enjoy this vacation is to just cut it off and deal with the repercussions later. That's so against my grain! It's really harder than you would think. So that's my first challenge. No work until next Thursday.

London is great, because I love my friends here and I always have so much fun visiting - they are the ultimate hosts. It feels like vacation, but it doesn't really feel like traveling yet. Mostly because I have already been here a number of times, and London is pretty similar to San Francisco save the architecture. and the hard core 80's styles. mc hammer pants have not quite made it across the pond into the mainstream just as of yet. thankfully.

I go to barcelona on Tuesday and berlin the following Tuesday. Two cities I have never been to before where I don't speak the language. Now that will feel like traveling. Not to mention visiting some more of my most favorite people. what a lucky girl i am!

No comments: