Friday, August 24, 2012

Twice bucked, once shy.

There are so many different sayings to describe the low probability of the same thing happening twice, especially in the same time period. Well, lightning may not strike twice but apparently my wild Mongolian horse does buck people off twice. And by people I mean me.
I was apprehensive before we got on the horses but once we were on and started walking all fear disappeared.  This was not going to be a gallop along the shore of white lake, this was going to be a slow walk with a number of other tourists as well. After a couple of hours we started trying to trot the horses which would work for short stints that eventually got a bit longer but a canter was as fast as we got, and we had to work for that.  Bree's horse cantered a little. My horse, Billy as I called him, kept pace with the canter but just went at a very fast trot which meant super bumpy. I had a silly school girl grin on my face the entire time. We were on the home stretch and my horse had taken the fast trotting lead when all of a suddenly I saw the horse torquing under me when I was somehow above it flying through the air... flying and then BOOM. Slammed down on my lower back with a shot of pain before the rest of me settled on the ground. Holy crap it hurt. All I could say over and over again was ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I wasn't concerned that I was paralyzed or had broken anything but I knew that crunch meant that I would be in serious need of a chiropractor.  Needless to say that will need to wait until we return to the states. Bree ran over and made sure I could feel both of my feet and then we slowly got me up over the span of many minutes and started hobbling home. She saw the horse spook for literally no reason at all and buck me off. What luck I have!
Fast forward to the next day when we were supposed to ride horses to the volcano. It was unclear if I was going to be able to ride again since I felt all banged up but you know what they say - back in the saddle!  I thought I should give Billy the benefit of my doubt and got back on. Felt okay. Certainly it hurt a bit but nothing too serious. Bree's horse was really feisty though and after only a short walk and bucking about she decided to leave the horse back at the Ranch so to speaking and go on foot. Walking was more difficult for me so I stayed on Billy with a vow to have a walk-only trip. No trotting for you Billy! Everything was going so well... we were back near the Ger camp, maybe a quarter mile away and I had managed to keep Billy under control despite the continuous march of the iron horses (motorcycles) which spooked him a bit. Home free! Yeah. Until he spooked again and bucked me off onto my arm. The low-speed Buck-off is much less painful than the higher speed but still sucks especially when you are already sore. My arm is still recovering but luckily we are horse free for a week or so. Here's to hoping camels don't buck!

No comments: