Saturday, February 09, 2008

Taper time

Well, it's officially 3 weeks until the race, and we have been ordered to start tapering. Personally I have mixed feelings about this. I felt like last year by the time the race came around I was out of shape because of the long taper. Of course, I was out of shape to begin with last year which I am sure makes a difference. Don't get me wrong - I trained to the best of my ability - or so I told myself. I may have fudged a bit though on exactly how close to the training plan I really came. (Does walking fast count for aerobic activity? What if it's down the block to a bar?) This year I have been following it pretty closely and am in much, much better shape than last. I was told definitely no strength training for the two weeks before the race 8 ( No more long skis - let's be honest, I haven't skied more than 3.5 hours any given day this entire season. Keep the cardio to a minimum. Yikes. I'd better taper my eating as well or I'll be a blimp for Anchorage.

I'm on pace to have a 3 hour 45 minute race this year. My goal is 3 hours and 30 minutes. My secret goal is to beat a teammate I don't like. Did I say that? Let's hope the snow is fast! No more sandpaper snow please. Please? Weather person?

No comments: