Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Maiden Voyage in (travel) Blogland

(New Orleans, LA, USA: May 2, 2007)

Whew. This first blog entry has been spinning around in my head for quite some time - finally finding its way onto paper (yes, you heard me - paper). It started when I began telling people about my trip and a surprisingly large number all said exactly the same thing "wow - that will be life changing". Which of course got me thinking about those life changing events - where in an instant your life is on a different trajectory - everything is seen in a new context with different filters. I've been trying to identify what/when those moments have been for me and I can only think of one so far that didn't involve death, or news of an illness. Then there are other times when it wasn't an exact moment or event that lead to change, but a more prolonged experience. Hard core backpacking trips I've done in the past have brought about such clarity that decisions nearly made themselves - deciding to be a math major was one. Can you imagine Sara the American Studies student? Burning Man is another experience which has also at times been life altering - more so the first few years than the last few.

So when everyone tells you something will change your life I have to wonder if my thinking about in that was will change it's effect? If you think something will change your life, will it still? Tree, forest, falling, sound... I guess I'm really just hoping to have a nice, relaxing, safe, challenging time - to learn more about myself and to learn to let go more - both in controlling my circumstances and my work. We'll see! Not having regular access to a computer is certainly going to help. New Orleans is the first stop so that will be a nice entry into traveldom. I feel very lucky that my first visit is with my friends who grew up there. I'm looking forward to a deeper than tourist level picture of New Orleans!

No comments: